Discovery GreenPark with live music, public art, restaurants, playground, pond for kayaking & exercise classes.
Discovery Green is an urban public park situated in downtown Houston, Texas. Home to several art installations, this 12-acre green space offers a plethora of delightful elements for photographers to capture. You can capture the panoramic view of the Houston skyline as the park is surrounded by high-rise buildings. The park was designed specifically with photographers in mind, and the various landscapes and lighting opportunities make it an excellent location for photo shoots too. You can also explore the many sculptures and art installations that are scattered throughout the park to add an interesting element to your photographs. For those who love capturing people’s expressions, Discovery Green is always bustling with various activities - from yoga classes to music concerts and food festivals held all year round. No matter the season, a visit to Discovery Green is sure to provide many unique photo opportunities for photographers to capture the sights, sounds, and scenery of Houston.
What to Photograph
For photography enthusiasts, Discovery Green in Houston, TX, is a dreamland. This vibrant, urban park has tons of unique and interesting features which make it an excellent subject for photography. One of the most stunning features of Discovery Green is its vibrant greenery and colorful wildflowers, which create an excellent background for photoshoots. The park also hosts numerous fountains, sculptures, and interactive installations, which provides photographers with a variety of subjects to capture. If you're interested in capturing Houston's skyline, Discovery Green provides an excellent vantage point to snap shots of the city's downtown skyline. Whether you're an amateur or a professional photographer, a visit to Discovery Green is definitely worth it.
Discovery Green is a relatively new park, having opened its gates to the public in 2008. Formerly an underused surface parking lot, Houston Mayor Bill White came up with the idea to create a vibrant green space that would serve as the city’s front lawn. With the help of the Houston Downtown Park Conservancy, the City of Houston invested around $122 million to create the 12-acre park, which includes an amphitheater, playgrounds, a dog park, and a putting green. The park's design was specifically created to be friendly to photographers, with dedicated concrete benches and a variety of landscapes to explore.
For photographers visiting Discovery Green, there are many interesting hints and tips to discover. One such location is the various water features that are scattered throughout the park. From the fountain in the middle of the park to the "Mist Tree," these water features not only provide a refreshing break from the sun but also serve as an excellent subject for photography. Additionally, during the summer months, the park offers a variety of free activities such as yoga classes, live music, and movie nights. Check the park's website for a schedule of events and plan in advance for the best shots. Lastly, don't forget to bring your tripod for night-time photography as the park is beautifully lit, providing the perfect opportunity to capture Houston's skyline in the background.
Festivals or Annual Events
- Houston Symphony Concerts at Discovery Green (June) - Enjoy an outdoor concert performed by the Houston Symphony Orchestra in the open green space of Discovery Green.
- The Ice at Discovery Green (November-January) - Skate under the stars at this outdoor ice skating rink in the heart of Houston's urban landscape.
- Downtown District's Music & Markets (April-October) - Enjoy live music and browse through local vendors at this weekly market held at Discovery Green.
- Love Notes Express Bus (February) - Board the Love Notes Express Bus and listen to live music performances while taking a ride around downtown Houston.
- Bubblefest at Discovery Green (June) - Bring the kids and enjoy a day of bubble art and science experiments at this family-friendly event held at Discovery Green.
HoustonPhotowalks Events Held at this Location
- Photowalk: Ice Carving at Discovery Green
(January 9, 2010)
- Last Minute Notice Photowalk: Discovery Green & Illuminated Art Car Parade
(November 28, 2009)
- Photowalk: DOWNTOWN (Formally – Help me pick a place!)
(November 7, 2009)
- Strange Fruit Part 2
(September 27, 2009)
- Strange Fruit (Not what it sounds like) :-)
(September 25, 2009)
Contact1500 McKinney St
Houston, TX 77010
(18.1 mi / 25 mins)
- Sunday: 6:00 AM – 11:00 PM
- Monday: 6:00 AM – 11:00 PM
- Tuesday: 6:00 AM – 11:00 PM
- Wednesday: 6:00 AM – 11:00 PM
- Thursday: 6:00 AM – 11:00 PM
- Friday: 6:00 AM – 11:00 PM
- Saturday: 6:00 AM – 11:00 PM
- Point of Interest
- Tourist Attraction
Season to VisitSome places are best to visit in certain seasons:
- Hilton Houston-Americas (0.13 miles)
- George R. Brown Convention Center (0.14 miles)
- The Shops at Houston Center (0.18 miles)
- Toyota Center (0.22 miles)
- 8th Wonder Brewery (0.38 miles)
- Minute Maid Park Tour (0.39 miles)
- Art Blocks at Main Street Square (0.4 miles)
- Downtown Houston Tunnel System (0.41 miles)
- Bombay Pizza Co. (0.42 miles)
- Christ Church Cathedral (0.42 miles)
- Graffiti Park (0.46 miles)
- Shell Energy Stadium (0.46 miles)
- Houston Police Museum (0.5 miles)
- Niels Esperson Building (0.51 miles)
- Veterans Day Parade (0.63 miles)
- Market Square Park (0.67 miles)
- Julia Ideson Building (0.68 miles)
- Hermann Square (0.69 miles)
- Alley Theatre (0.69 miles)
- Tranquillity Park (0.72 miles)
- Houston Public Library (0.73 miles)
- DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Houston Downtown (0.75 miles)
- Allen's Landing Park (0.76 miles)
- The Spaghetti Warehouse (0.77 miles)