Sometimes people ask me “what lens should I buy”. I joke that picking a new lens is harder than picking a baby name — you don’t ask others to pick your baby name (“Joseph” is quite nice though). 🙂
It can be really confusing for new DSLR owners to buy that next lens. There are an insane number of choices, an insane array of acronyms and number specifications, and many seemingly identical lenses have a price difference of $1,000 or more.
And some folks (more than once) have bought lenses based on the focal length (MM) and price, and 6 months later realized they made a very bad, and expensive, lens choice.
What this class *IS* all about:
- The basics of understanding lens specifications
- The different classifications of lens types
- Know which specifications to pay attention to
- Understand why 3 lenses with the same “mm” are drastically different prices
- Evaluating lenses based on what you intend to do rather than what you think you need or can afford
- Why lenses with a smaller focal range is better than those with a larger range.
- How to evaluate conflicting “Reviews” on Amazon
- The one lens that everyone should own
What this class is *NOT* about:
It’s really easy to “geek-out” on lens specifications. If you’re a high-end, pro-minded kinda person who likes to read MTF charts and study lens grouping schematics to help you wake up in the morning, this class is NOT for you.
- NOT a “Joe, what lens should I buy?” Q&A – I’ll show you how to evaluate lenses so YOU can make this decision!
- NOT a Specifications / Mathematics / Physics / Geek-fest
- NOT an argument over “Bokeh” quality
- NOT a debate over “third-party lens options”
- NOT a tutorial on reading MTF and Adoration charts
Bonus 1: Discussing using UV Filters for lens protection – are they worth it?
Bonus 2: Discussing the basics of lens care
Latest posts by Joe Lippeatt (see all)
- Prime Day Deals, Live Blogging of Interesting Deals - July 15, 2019
- Security is Step 1 in Your Photography Life, Both Business and Personal - June 1, 2019
- Summer Fun, Previous “Fix Joe’s Busted Images” Entries - May 29, 2019